A healthy, but flavorful way to create tasty tapas, interesting Panini’s or alternative veggie crudités is to make a groovy spread. My Garlicky Roasted Eggplant Spread with Pine Nuts, Raisins and Feta is chock full of fiber, healthy fats and phytonutrients. I’m spreading this nutrient rich love on pizzas and warm gluten free tortilla chips this weekend. The leftovers will be combined with more lemon and tossed with some shredded vegetables, greens, tomatoes and kalamata olives for non-traditional Greek salad.
What will you make with your batch???
- • 3 eggplants, cut in half lengthwise
- • 10 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- • 2 TB olive oil, plus some for brushing
- • 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- • 2 TB fresh oregano leaves
- • Handful of minced parsley
- • ½ c. raisins, plumped
- • 1 c. feta cheese, crumbled
- • ¼ c. pine nuts, toasted
- • juice from 1 large lemon (optional, grate the lemon zest in their, too)
- • Kosher salt and chili flakes
- Brush eggplants with olive oil. Lay on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and chili flakes. Cut little slits in the eggplant and insert slices of garlic. Cover with foil, transfer to a 425 degree oven and cook for 20 minutes. Remove foil, cook for 20 minutes, or until browned and kinda goopy when you poke it with a fork.
- Scoop out the meat of the eggplant with garlic and transfer to a food processor. Add oregano, parsley, lemon, 2 TB olive oil, smoked paprika and half of the plumped raisins and half of the feta cheese. Pulse the machine until the mixture is smooth, but still has a couple of chunks. Season with more salt if needed, serve in a bowl sprinkled with remaining raisins, feta, and toasted pine nuts…drizzled with a tiny bit more olive oil.